Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default toggle switches

Not sure about this though, as its not a new idea to have capacitors across
the mains for filtering etc.
I just think possibly that a bit of wear and tear, could be heat related if
its all made of plastic, has somehow pushed the bias of the switch too close
to one direction . When the stress changes after removal its just enough to
work again. Could be as simple as a hole elongated where the spring seats
at one end.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Chris Green" wrote in message
Paul wrote:
williamwright wrote:
On 14/11/2020 22:23, Roger Hayter wrote:

The only thing I can think of is an inductive load causing the
contacts to arc
and fuse. The monitors aren't ancient very large CRT ones I suppose?

No, new Samsung ones.

I mean, the weird thing is that some of the faulty switches have come
alright once they're removed from the panel. But I have to throw them
away, obviously. I have one in my hands now. It doesn't seem to be
caused by stress on the 1/4" connectors.

Bill

Inrush on a PC supply is 40A to 80A for a couple of 50Hz cycles.

OK, what kind of switch likes that.

Yes, I don't think it's even for as long as "couple of 50Hz cycles", I
think it's simply the mains rated capacitor that is fequently
connected directly across the incoming supply.

When I plug my laptop's power supply in there is often a noticeable
'crack' and there are lots of burn marks on the plug as a consequence.
I assume the randomness of it happening is simply down to what part of
the mains cycle it gets plugged in.

--
Chris Green
·