Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Running co-ax

On 14/11/2020 17:21, soup wrote:

Not a want as such just put my mind at ease.

I spent today running co-ax cable from the loft to run the telly free view.
This co-ax/freeview is emergency back up for if the Fire TV stick
/internet fails
So fire stick fall back to Freeview because I got ****ed of paying
Virgin[1] to watch ads.

I was fairly careful when I was running the co-ax down various 'holes'
not to touch pipework, I am worried though that the cable may move and
touch the pipework .
Will the co-ax cope with touching domestic hot water pipes or will this
heat load cause the cable insulation to degrade or off-gas?

IMHO it will be fine.

Typically PVC clad cables are specified for a maximum continuos
conductor[1] temperature of 70 deg C. Beyond that, you may start to see
some gradual degradation of the plastic - (typically it becoming more
brittle as it loses plasticiser) - but at only a little over than you
can expect it to take decades.

A CH pipe will probably be less than 70 degrees anyway, and even if not
it will not be continuously at that temp.

[1] The outer sheath will usually be at least as good as the insulation
on the conductors.

--
Cheers,

John.