Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gib Bogle[_5_] Gib Bogle[_5_] is offline

Default Cleaning kitchen extractor filter

On Saturday, November 14, 2020 at 10:30:23 AM UTC+13, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 11/11/2020 19:51, Gib Bogle wrote:
We had tenants in our house for 6 months, and they obviously did a lot of frying. The metal mesh filters in the oven extractor hood are very clogged up with grease. I know from experience that these are hard to clean - there must be a good way to do it. Any suggestions?

Fuming Nitric .... (er, don't)

Mother digs up an old recipe, takes a tin of evaporated milk and chills
it in the fridge, then boils it in a saucepan of water, then plans to
continues with the recipe. I'd argue both steps are unnecessary - the
heat treatment has been done in the canning factory, but anyway ....

Of course, today is Friday 13th, she's called away to something and the
can has been boiled to death, saucepan boils dry. I now find I urgently
need to source replacement filters for the John Lewis cooker hood and
burner caps for the Neff hob, as they are both somewhat mangled from the
rather loud explosion. Everything now is hard coated and smells of toffee..

This is gonna be fun ... I'm hoping these filters are a standard fitment
John Lewis's supplier has bought from someone else.

--
Adrian C

Adrian, you have my sympathy.
I'm reminded of an incident from my youth (about 50 years ago.) I had read that the best way to lubricate a motorcycle chain was to immerse it in molten grease. So I put a can of grease in a saucepan on the stove and went outside to do something on the old Norton Dominator 500. Rather later when I returned to the kitchen the greasy soot was over the walls, the ceiling, everything ... No hood, no filters to clean though.