Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default Elec chainsaw question

John Rumm wrote:
On 13/11/2020 16:34, charles wrote:
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
On 13/11/2020 08:59, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

was designed to do. Tree had been blown down, so I only needed to use it
on the ground - I doubt I would have the confidence to use it off the
ground.

Back handles saws can only safely be used two handed, so they are
difficult you use safely off the ground unless say on a scaffold tower,
or properly roped and harnessed to the tree. For aerial work most
arborists will use the smaller "top handle" saws, which can be used
single handed (although even then they are safer with two!).

but the other hand should be holding onto the ladder

Indeed, hence the need for a top handle saw if working from ladders
since its the only way you will have a free hand.

If working from a scaffold tower, or a cherry picker, then you can use a
back handled saw since you have both hands free.

However many pros will be properly roped on with an additional safety
strap round the main trunk, and so can work safely at height and have
both hands free since they are safely supported in their harness.

As an 'amateur' chainsaw user I simply have a rule (for me) that says
never try to use it if/when I'm not on the ground.

The main safety thing (as for many power tools) is to be sure you're
well balanced and steady on the ground. Falling over and/or dropping
tools is the way to get hurt. My worst power tool injury was caused
by not keeping an angle grinder firmly gripped, it wasn't that bad but
I don't want to repeat it.

--
Chris Green
ยท