Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cleaning kitchen extractor filter

On 13/11/2020 00:37, Roger Hayter wrote:
On 13 Nov 2020 at 00:04:34 GMT, "Gib Bogle" wrote:

On Friday, November 13, 2020 at 7:07:37 AM UTC+13, Andy Burns wrote:
Owain wrote:
Gib Bogle wrote:

The metal mesh filters in the oven extractor
hood are very clogged up with grease.

Put them with the oven racks in a bag/pouch of Oven Clean.
Unless they're made of aluminium!

I do remember from about 50 years ago the effect of NaOH on Al.
Naively I've been thinking that some organic solvent should deal with the
grease, something like mineral turps, petrol or kerosene, but nobody has
suggested that.

I suspect that pyrolytic products of cooking have a significant polar
component and would not be soluble in a non-polar solvent. Something like
acetone might be worth experimenting with, but personally I'd stick to hot
water and detergent. Though I'd agree that it would be interesting to know if
anyone has any experience with organic solvents.

detergents are essentially 'organic solvents' in that they do bond
directly to hydrocarbons.

All caustic does is to turn fats into soaps,anyway.

Burnt on fat is something I have never been able to shift except by
brute force...