Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default Cleaning kitchen extractor filter

On 11 Nov 2020 at 23:32:38 GMT, "Gib Bogle" wrote:

On Thursday, November 12, 2020 at 12:07:39 PM UTC+13, Max Demian wrote:
On 11/11/2020 19:51, Gib Bogle wrote:
We had tenants in our house for 6 months, and they obviously did a lot of
frying. The metal mesh filters in the oven extractor hood are very clogged
up with grease. I know from experience that these are hard to clean - there
must be a good way to do it. Any suggestions?

The instructions for my Lamona cooker hood say:

First remove the grease filters by pulling down on the handle and
pulling them away from the extractor.

€¢ Soak the grease filters in hot water and washing up liquid for about
an hour.
€¢ Rinse them off thoroughly with hot water.
€¢ Repeat the process if required.
€¢ Refit the grease filters once they have dried.

If it is used in recirculation mode the carbon filters will probably
need replacing. These are about £20 a pair.

(I don't use the fan on mine as it is too noisy even at the slowest
setting, and since it doesn't actually extract to the outside I don't
see the point in it. The light is useful though.)

--
Max Demian

Thanks to all. The filters are aluminium. In the past I've not had much
success using the dishwasher to clean them. Presumably "soaking in hot water
for an hour" means put them in hot water (with detergent) and leaving them
for an hour, not keeping water hot for an hour.

Probably, but I'd use hot water for rinsing, so the grease does not congeal
again. And preferably brush them while rinsing.

--
Roger Hayter