Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name No Name is offline

Default How to drill a hole in a noggin half way down a stud partitionwall?

On 11/11/2020 03:24, wrote:
On Tuesday, 10 November 2020 15:19:24 UTC, Tim+ wrote:
www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
On 09/11/2020 20:07, No Name wrote:
Right, I need to drop some networking and coaxial cables down from the
loft into a bedroom.

Drilling a hole in the ceiling wall plate is easy from the loft side to
pass said cables through.

half way down the wall is a noggin.

I wish to mount the wall socket lower down than this noggin and run the
cables to the wall socket.

I dont really want to cut a hole in the PB to access said noggin to
drill a through hole.

Is there such a thing as a 1.5m m long drill bit extender I can place
between my wood boring bit and the electric drill?

being able to do this would be a time and a making good time saver!

Personally I'd chop out a square of plasterboard that spanned both sides
of the noggin and cut a rebate into the front side rather than a hole.

Even if you managed to get a 2m drill extension and successfully drilled
a hole without the drill wandering off course you'll have a hell of a
job poking cable through a hole in a noggin half way down a PB wall.

Not that hard if you have a set of those flexible rods from Aldi/Lidl for
pulling cables through. A bit tricky but I would say definitely doable.

Tim

Put an LED on the end of some bell wire, poke that down so you can see what you're doing. Fiddly but doable.

Been there, done that, got the T shirt!

Thats why I drill two holes, one to poke the LED down, and the other
hoel for tools, cable etc. I then look down the 2nd hole to see whats
going on!

Endoscopic DIY!