Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim+[_5_] Tim+[_5_] is offline

Default How to drill a hole in a noggin half way down a studpartition wall?

Fredxx wrote:
On 10/11/2020 17:42:16, ARW wrote:
On 10/11/2020 09:26, John J wrote:
On Monday, 9 November 2020 at 20:07:25 UTC, No Name wrote:
Right, I need to drop some networking and coaxial cables down from the
loft into a bedroom.

Drilling a hole in the ceiling wall plate is easy from the loft side to
pass said cables through.

half way down the wall is a noggin.

I wish to mount the wall socket lower down than this noggin and run the
cables to the wall socket.

I dont really want to cut a hole in the PB to access said noggin to
drill a through hole.

Is there such a thing as a 1.5m m long drill bit extender I can place
between my wood boring bit and the electric drill?

being able to do this would be a time and a making good time saver!

S.
Get a piece of steel conduit of suitable length. Affix a wood boring
bit slightly larger than conduit diameter to business end and create a
driving attachment for the top to fit your drill. Use this to do the
business then remove your cutter and driver. Use the conduit to pass
the cable through the noggin, possibly secure the top end of the steel
conduit in the loft and leave it there to provide mechanical
protection to the cable in the noggin as it's unlikely to be 50mm from
the surface.

That is quite a good idea. But would you be able to get the drill bit in
prefect alignment with the conduit?

Steel conduit generally has a 1.5mm wall thickness.

For a 240V installation is that sufficient for mechanical protection?

But its network and coax cables... Even if it was mains, surely more than
enough (if you were using standard mains conduit). ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls