Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default How to drill a hole in a noggin half way down a stud partitionwall?

On 10/11/2020 14:49, Fredxx wrote:
On 10/11/2020 13:46:00, Mike Clarke wrote:
On 10/11/2020 02:46, williamwright wrote:

It's difficult to do this, and you risk damaging the plaster worse
than cutting it. I always used to cut a slot in the plaster. It
needn't be very big and with a bit of skill you can disappear it with
polyfilla and sandpaper. Have you considered dropping the cable
somewhere where a cut in the plaster wouldn't matter, then running it
horizontally?

And adding a blanking plate where it turns the corner to comply with
requirements for permitted zones
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...lectric_cables

Safe zones aren't applicable for the OP's networking and coaxial cables.

I have always assumed that a blanking plate can create a "safe zone" but
the wiki doesn't imply that and intrigued which regulation might allow
it? After all, it might not be obvious it's covering 240V cables.

I don't think a box + blanking plate meets the letter of the regulations
because they create safe zones "Where the cable is *connected* [emphasis
added] to a point, accessory or switchgear on any surface of the wall or
partition...".

--
Robin