Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name No Name is offline

Default How to drill a hole in a noggin half way down a stud partitionwall?

On 10/11/2020 12:05, newshound wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* No Name wrote:
Right, I need to drop some networking and coaxial cables down from the
loft into a bedroom.

Drilling a hole in the ceiling wall plate is easy from the loft side to
pass said cables through.

half way down the wall is a noggin.

I wish to mount the wall socket lower down than this noggin and run the
cables to the wall socket.

I dont really want to cut a hole in the PB to access said noggin to
drill a through hole.

Is there such a thing as a 1.5m m long drill bit extender I can place
between my wood boring bit and the electric drill?

being able to do this would be a time and a making good time saver!

S.

Going to be real fun and games to drop a mouse through that hole?

The devil is in the detail, what sort of access is available at each
end, etc. I was very pleased to be able to pass a draw string through
four metres of inaccessible roof void to a 75mm hole (for a pull switch)
using one of those cheap fibre glass "fishing rod" kits made for the
purpose. One I had the draw string through it was easy to pull through a
length of 1mm^2 3+e.

I have now drilled two 32mm holes in the top wall plate from the loft above.

I put a LED light down one hole and I can see through the other hole
down to the noggin/dwang in the stud partition wall.

There is no insulation in the cavity and the noggin/dwang is 142 cm down
from the loft. (so nothing to catch on the rotating drill bit!)

Now the socket I wish to place is 85 cm below this noggin/dwang itself.

I have already used neodymium magnets to locate the PB screws/nails and
I can confirm that they are in the vertical studs and none are present
in the noggin/dwang so there is no risk of a drill bit hitting a
nail/screw in the noggin.

I have fibreglass rods so fishing cable down through from the loft is
trivial.

I can use a stanley knife and a multitool cutter (I have both) to cut
the double gang rectangular hole and put the back box into this hole

Now all I need now is a drill bit externder bar that is 1.5m long!

S.