Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Tidying cables

On Tue, 10 Nov 2020 02:40:58 +0000, williamwright
wrote:

On 10/11/2020 01:16, T i m wrote:
There are some fairly new flats nearby where the (distributed) TV
cables are run round the outside of the buildings, just in a bundle
clipped to the outside wall. Did they not know they would need a
communal aerial feed when they built the places?

It's because they didn't allow for Sky+.

Oh? I've never had any Sky anything (well, a mate gave me a new/unused
Sky box and I took the 500GB HDD out of it before recycling the rest),
so why does that need that couldn't have been catered for via the std
communal cabling system ... and what new build wouldn't have built in
ducting for such things, allowing for any retro-fit to any flat from
the communal comms cupboard? [1]

Obsolete now anyway.

Cool ... so I can go and prune the cable off as it annoys me. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

[1] We installed a few racks worth of datacomms kit in a central
datacentre and they were running cables out to satellite buildings
that closely surrounded it. To cater for all the data cables they
built (when building the entire site from scratch) 4 x 6" diameter
earthenware pipes between hub and satellite buildings.

The head count increased as the project was completed and realising
that it was going to be a lot of work and possibly not have the
physical capacity for all these new links, they went over to fiber and
so only used one of the 4 ducts. They then soon found the fiber was
being bitten though by rats as it was a lovely underground system for
them so they had to make plugs up to block all the pipes and just
leaving a small gap for the fibre cable to sneak though. ;-)