Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Tidying cables

On Mon, 9 Nov 2020 20:57:38 +0000, newshound
wrote:

On 09/11/2020 20:34, F wrote:
I'm about to add a security camera to the back of the house which will
mean a fourth Ethernet cable running parallel to three others. Is there
any kind of trunking/conduit/whatever that I can fix to the (brick) wall
to take the cables and tidy things up? It would need to be around 15m
long and accept internal and external corners.

Er, conduit? Screwfix, Toolstation, etc. For that sort of length, it
will be neater to use the "proper" stuff.

I agree, especially if you are running the cables over any sort of
rough pebble-dashed surface.

As has been mentioned elsewhere, really only works if you are willing
/ able to re run any existing cables though the new conduit.

A mate has a mix of CCTV / lighting on the front of his house, some
clipped directly to the walls and some run in conduit and the conduit
makes the exposed cables look tacky and vulnerable.

There are some fairly new flats nearby where the (distributed) TV
cables are run round the outside of the buildings, just in a bundle
clipped to the outside wall. Did they not know they would need a
communal aerial feed when they built the places?

Personally, I would be running any such cables internally, especially
on the front, though the loft and down though risers ... (but then I
generally decide what goes here and she doesn't care about that sort
of thing g). Round the back if it wasn't possible to keep internal,
I'd go conduit.

Cheers, T i m