Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tricky Dicky[_4_] Tricky Dicky[_4_] is offline

Default How to drill a hole in a noggin half way down a stud partition wall?

On Monday, 9 November 2020 at 22:05:21 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 09/11/2020 20:07, No Name wrote:
Right, I need to drop some networking and coaxial cables down from the
loft into a bedroom.

Drilling a hole in the ceiling wall plate is easy from the loft side to
pass said cables through.

half way down the wall is a noggin.

I wish to mount the wall socket lower down than this noggin and run the
cables to the wall socket.

I dont really want to cut a hole in the PB to access said noggin to
drill a through hole.

Is there such a thing as a 1.5m m long drill bit extender I can place
between my wood boring bit and the electric drill?

Kind of - you can get extensions for spade bits that are typically
around 300mm long. Nothing to stop you using several!

(or for that matter use one, and weld it onto the end of a bit or rebar
or threaded rod etc)

--
Cheers,

John.

If your outlet is going just below the noggin it might be easier to cut an opening in the PB to take a dry wall back box and use a spade bit with one or two extension bars on at quite an acute angle and drill upwards from the opening.

Richard