Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] nothanks@aolbin.com is offline

Default How to drill a hole in a noggin half way down a stud partitionwall?

On 09/11/2020 20:46, Tim+ wrote:
No Name wrote:
Right, I need to drop some networking and coaxial cables down from the
loft into a bedroom.

Drilling a hole in the ceiling wall plate is easy from the loft side to
pass said cables through.

half way down the wall is a noggin.

I wish to mount the wall socket lower down than this noggin and run the
cables to the wall socket.

I dont really want to cut a hole in the PB to access said noggin to
drill a through hole.

Is there such a thing as a 1.5m m long drill bit extender I can place
between my wood boring bit and the electric drill?

being able to do this would be a time and a making good time saver!

S.

I once made a long drill for a similar reason out of a long threaded rod.
(Just what I had to hand). Did a bit of crude heating and hammering to
make a simple spear point (a bit wider than the shaft) and ground some
sharp edges on to the spear tip.

Very inefficient but perfectly adequate to drill through softwood.

Tim

Many years ago I did something similar but now, if there was no
alternative, I'd buy or make an extension for a spade bit. However, in
the OP's case I'd cut a rectangle out of the plasterboard with a
multitool, cut a notch in the noggin, drop the cable, replace the
plasterboard (with rear battens), fill, sand and paint.