Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default cigarette lighter plug end getting quite warm

On Sun, 8 Nov 2020 15:02:13 -0500, OJ Oxford wrote:

I like the XT60 connector you mentioned after checking out its specs. I
think that's the one I'll go with when I order tomorrow. And I do like
the fact that it is solder and not crimped. I don't always trust
crimped connections. I know it's probably my fault since I don't often
have the correct crimping tool so when the wire works out, that's why,
but soldering with circumvent that issue. Thank you.

Well, if you're going to use XT60 connectors, here are some hints and
hazards:

1. The connectors are NOT standardized. That means that connectors
from different vendors might not fit together. There are also poor
quality copies. I tend to buy my connectors from Hobby King because I
can be sure that they're made from nylon and not some plastic that
melts as soon as I apply the soldering iron. Note the "genuine" in
the description:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/workbench/accessories/connectors.html#q=xt60
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/genuine-xt60-nylon-connectors-male-female-5-pairs.html
I've bought some on eBay with mixed results. Some were really good,
while others required a heat gun to form them into a usable shape.

2. When soldering the connectors, it's really easy to get them too
hot and melt the plastic. Nylon is better, but plastic is cheaper and
more common. To keep the pins aligned, push a mating connector
together with the one you're soldering to help reduce the tendency to
melt the insulation. The mating connectors do not have any way for
solder to ruin your day by soldering both connectors together.

3. Use shrink tube on the wires and a big shrink tube over the
connector. Follow the color code and polarity defacto standards.
Pointed end of the connector is negative and black wire.

4. Gold plating is very thin but gives a good low resistance
connection. However, it's easily pitted by arcing. Therefore, don't
connect or disconnect the XT60 connectors with power applied.

5. Panel mounting is a bit tricky. Fortunately, there are panel
mount adapters:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/xt60-panel-mounting-kit.html

6. Think about high current inline blade type fuse holders:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=inline+blade+fuse+holders
There should be at least one fuse in the circuit.

Good luck...

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D