Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Lighting to a shed

On 07/11/2020 13:04, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 07/11/2020 10:07, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Saturday, 7 November 2020 07:54:43 UTC, Jeff LaymanÂ* wrote:
On 06/11/2020 23:52, williamwright wrote:
On 06/11/2020 22:28, F wrote:

solar panel LED light solution?

I should have said: she's looking for a 30W LED floodlight. Does
that help?

That's very bright.

For an LED, yes, but about the same as an old R7 120W halogen (and at
least you can change those when they fail).

There are many places where 30W LED is held to be more or less
equivalent to 300W halogen.

Got any links for those? From what I've seen, available 30w floodlights
are around 2400 - 2900lm
(https://cpc.farnell.com/c/electronic-electrical-components/optoelectronics-leds-displays/leds/led-floodlightings/30w-led-floodlights?pageSize=50)

300W R7 halogens are around 4600 - 4900lm. Screwfix appear to be doing
230W R7 halogens which give 4650lm. Their 120W bulbs give 2250lm.
https://www.screwfix.com/c/electrical-lighting/light-bulbs/cat8350001?lightbulbtechnology=halogen

Plus, typically, LEDs have at least a slightly higher colour
temperature which changes effective vision significantly.

I assume "floodlight" leds are usually supplied at that higher colour
temp, rather than the choice you get with, for example, GU10s.

You can still get them in a range of temps from Warm white through to
daylight.

FWIW I replaced a 150W linear halogen with a 30W LED flood[1], since it
gave a similar theoretical lumens output. In reality I find the LED is
actually quite a bit brighter, and a 20W would probably have done.

[1] https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LTUSF30WW.html

--
Cheers,

John.