Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Mobile phone

In message , Michael Chare
writes
On 08/11/2020 16:58, Tim Lamb wrote:
Follow up to the previously discussed Vodafone outage.
After nearly 2 weeks Vf grudgingly admitted there had been an issue
without giving any details. This came in the form, Great news, our
engineers have fixed the fault at your postcode.
Followed 25 minutes later with a second mail admitting they had
failed so to do:-)
Another *great news* mail this morning! We'll see. They didn't say
but I guess the outage was restricted to 3g.
Either way, it has forced me to try getting to grips with a less
basic phone. The first disappointment was that having fitted the SIM
from my old Alcatel, the contacts list was not accessible!
My Motoe5 play is not hugely user friendly in that it seems to
expect everything to be run through my Google account!
Tempting to go out and buy a cheap basic 4g phone from Tesco.

If you have no Vodafone mobile phone network coverage wifi calling can
be an alternative if you have a phone that can do that. You may also
have to ask Vodafone to enable the free feature on your account.

Indeed. Managed to do that for the pile of accumulated upgrades.

Wifi at home but I may as well use the free land line.

GPS, what three words location and mapping is good on the Moto but it is
a bit large/delicate for many of my daytime activities.

I'll reassemble the sim and try the old Alcatel tomorrow.

I also have a gifted Microsoft Lumia to try.

--
Tim Lamb