Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electronic construction kits

On Friday, 6 November 2020 17:28:38 UTC, gareth evans wrote:
Does anyone here remember what was the precursor
to the Philips Radionic series?

I am thinking of about 1963 which is a few years
before the Philips X20 et seq came about.

I lusted after one of those kits but with 5 of us
brothers and sisters, the Xmas budget limited
each of us to Xmas presents costing £1 only and the electronics kit
was about £3.

I was delighted to get Meccano. I always thought it was a new Meccano set, and was occasionally puzzled when discussing projects with others that mine never matched theirs - I had parts none of their kits had, and the colours & styles never matched either. Moons later I found out the kit was patched together from all generations of Meccano, including some of the earliest unpainted parts, but there were also parts that I've no clue where they came from, AFAIK they simply never existed in Meccano. Some 3rd party equivalent I guess.

A great teaching aid imho. But I doubt it interests any 1st world kids now, they're all chasing video games.

NT