Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

Default Galvonic isolator position

On 07/11/2020 17:34, Brian Morrison wrote:
On Sat, 07 Nov 2020 10:16:37 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

So there are 3 solid hard reasons bound up with experience why Jim is in
fact talking through his arse.

1/. A 'galvanic isolator' is irrelevant outside of a marina.

See above. Terminology might not be to our taste, but it's what the
industry calls these things.

2/. Ground loop seldom if ever have any effect at RF and above, which is
where cable operates.

Depending on what is going on, it is possible for cable lengths to cause
notches within the desired passband if the grounding is imperfect or if
there is unintended inductance in ground paths. Cable TV is notorious for
this sort of effect.

3/. Despite their desire to make profits, manufacturers of electronic
kit in general make sure it works without the need for ancillary plug in
items.

Yes, but as I said in after-market equipment there are always a few odds
and sods that need mopping up. I would love to say that you're right and
nothing is needed, but then I've seen enough cable TV cabinets with
broken doors on the streets, and what lies within is quite horrifying to
anyone with even a faint interest in tidiness. The F connector, usually
screw on, is the absolute cheapest and nastiest RF connector in existence.

Yes. I owe Jim an apology. The idiot here is not Jim, but Virgin, who have

(a) deigned to supply kit that was not fit for purpose ,

(b) added in a 'ground breaker' and called it by a misleading name
presumably for 'marketing purposes'

(c) not supplied simple instructions on where to put it.,

It is sad reflection when you look on approaching death with
equanimity, because at least the frightful incompetence you sought to
eradicate in every thing you did,and has achieved dominance in
professional areas, will be something you no longer have to deal with...

....Except no doubt St Peter will require two factor authorisation and a
printed electricity bill before letting me in the pearly gates, but the
computer system will be down and the backup system gone to the Devil.

:=)

--
"Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and
higher education positively fortifies it."

- Stephen Vizinczey