Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default Galvonic isolator position

On 7 Nov 2020 at 07:41:18 GMT, ""Brian Gaff \" Sofa\)"
wrote:

Well, surely the whole idea is to try to remove your transmitted signal from
the modem or anything connected to it. So for a start are you sure of the
mechanism its getting into? Generally, it seems if you live next door to a
ham and are on BT then its far more difficult than on virgin unless its
fibre to the home,
I would leave the Virgin hub where it is, make it into a modem only then buy
yourself a nice shine router and stick that on the end of a good quality
network cable. The wireless will be better and from tests someone I know
did, very little is getting back to the hub. It seems as you deduce that the
main problem is that the hub is fed by coax, and it is the sheath of this
which is picking up the signals. Its counter intuitive I know that bits of
open wire in a plastic bundle seem better than a screened cable, but proof
of pudding and eating, and you may have other issues, even the length of the
coax can cause issues if its a quarter wave at the transmitting frequency,
I'd imagine.
Back in the old CB days one used to use braid breakers on tvs, but I do not
know what effect that kind of device might have on a broadband signal, as by
definition it is,um broad band!

Brian

The merit of your ethernet solution is that it already has galvanic isolation.
Unless you use shielded ethernet cable, which is often counterproductive
unless the whole system is designed for it.

--
Roger Hayter