Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electronic construction kits

Does anyone recall that article in one of the annuals from a comic where
they taught people the basics of electromagnetism using a compass, no the
ones that point north. some wire, a 9v battery and a magnet and some paper
clips? Have to say, the battery never lasted very long, as you might
imagine!

I did make a light transmitter once built into a Ever Ready Lantern torch,
just behind the reflector.
However the level of modulation was very low, as the thermal issues in a
filament meant that as soon as you could see the light flickering the thing
sounded very distorted. I guess these days leds might be better if they are
in fact driven by dc.
The other snag of course was the aiming and the limit of range in daylight
particularly as the other end either had an orp12 or a phototransistor.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"jon" wrote in message ...
On Fri, 06 Nov 2020 17:28:30 +0000, gareth evans wrote:

Does anyone here remember what was the precursor to the Philips Radionic
series?

I am thinking of about 1963 which is a few years before the Philips X20
et seq came about.

I lusted after one of those kits but with 5 of us brothers and sisters,
the Xmas budget limited each of us to Xmas presents costing £1 only and
the electronics kit was about £3.

I had a Trix electrical set (1950 ish).