Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electronic construction kits

Later on I built the Mohican and their mains short wave radio , the one
using mosfets. Both worked, but both did have design flaws both in the dial
drive mechanism. The Mohican should have had struts to hold the front panel
rigid as it would wander off tune when you flexed the front panel by using
controls etc, and the Sw set had the cheapest most crappy slow motion drive
using a bit of string I'd ever encountered. The pointer slipped the drive
slipped and in the end I took the whole front off and fitted a real slow
motion drive to the thing.
I have also built an air de ioniser, which basically was a whole ladder of
capacitors with the mains at one end and a spike at the other which fizzed
loudly and could give you a tingle if you touched it.
Lots of power supplies and light controllers, drill controllers stupid
robot controllers. and I do miss that now I have no sighted, but it was good
while it lasted.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 6 Nov 2020 17:28:30 +0000, gareth evans
wrote:

Does anyone here remember what was the precursor
to the Philips Radionic series?

I am thinking of about 1963 which is a few years
before the Philips X20 et seq came about.

I lusted after one of those kits but with 5 of us
brothers and sisters, the Xmas budget limited
each of us to Xmas presents costing £1 only and the electronics kit
was about £3.

I made one or two Heathkit things - the digital clock comes to mind,
one of these
https://tinyurl.com/y6afaer6, except that whenever the
mains went off, it needed re-setting, so I added a 50cps oscillator
and battery back-up. The Beckman panaplex displays eventually packed
up https://tinyurl.com/y4r7d8l8 and ICBA to replace them as better
digital clocks were then available.

--

Chris