Liquid Smoke

Default threaded copper supply fittings

I've recently replaced a shower faucet, the old one was sweated directly to
the faucet. The new one, as I was told when I bought it, is standard with
threaded supply fittings.
I installed it, had to reroute some piping to get around some studs, etc
since the new one was just bigger enough to require it.
Anyway, I've pressure on the faucet for about two weeks now and have some
slow leaks at the threaded supplies. I used pipe dope and I threaded it with
what I though was enough pressure but not iron-pipe type pressure. Anyone
hazard a guess if this is the pipe dope or I didn't torque them down enough?
Should I just use tape? I'm going to disassemble the supplies tomorrow and
just want to get it right this time.

thanks,
js