Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim GM4DHJ ... Jim GM4DHJ ... is offline

Default Electronic construction kits

On 06/11/2020 19:25, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 6 Nov 2020 17:28:30 +0000, gareth evans
wrote:

Does anyone here remember what was the precursor
to the Philips Radionic series?

I am thinking of about 1963 which is a few years
before the Philips X20 et seq came about.

I lusted after one of those kits but with 5 of us
brothers and sisters, the Xmas budget limited
each of us to Xmas presents costing £1 only and the electronics kit
was about £3.

I made one or two Heathkit things - the digital clock comes to mind,
one of these https://tinyurl.com/y6afaer6, except that whenever the
mains went off, it needed re-setting,

I built one of those in the late 70's still have it on in the garge
shack......

go to 2.33...It has the famous digit flicker ...thought it was my fault
building it but they all have it ......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ17...nnel=JimGM4DHJ

so I added a 50cps oscillator
and battery back-up. The Beckman panaplex displays eventually packed
up https://tinyurl.com/y4r7d8l8 and ICBA to replace them as better
digital clocks were then available.

shame