Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] nothanks@aolbin.com is offline

Default Question for users of milling machines

On 06/11/2020 15:30, JohnP wrote:
wrote in :

On 06/11/2020 13:33, JohnP wrote:
wrote in :

What type of edge finder do you use (wiggler, split-cylinder or
electronic) and can you recommend it?

As an ex-Jig Borer I would use a Mercer dial indicator in a jointed
arm in the spindle and rotate it to touch each side of a slip gauge -
adjusting until I got equal readings and then pitch over by hald the
slip gauge size. Alternatively I had a block with a should that I
could hold onto the edge that had a slot centred over the shoulder.
Rotate the dial indicator to get equal readings.

I'm probably about to expose my lack of knowledge, but how does that
help find the edge of an object that you want to machine?

Imagine using a dial indicator (finger type) in the spindle to fins the
centre of a slot. This is the same principle - but finding the centre of
a block or a slip gauge.
https://youtu.be/HGOkwdJB6T0?t=90

Aha! Thanks for the link; light has dawned. Is there any advantage
compared to a capacitive edge finder, for example?