Posted to uk.d-i-y
JohnP JohnP is offline

Default Question for users of milling machines

JohnP wrote in
:

wrote in :

What type of edge finder do you use (wiggler, split-cylinder or
electronic) and can you recommend it?

As an ex-Jig Borer I would use a Mercer dial indicator in a jointed
arm in the spindle and rotate it to touch each side of a slip gauge -
adjusting until I got equal readings and then pitch over by hald the
slip gauge size. Alternatively I had a block with a should that I
could hold onto the edge that had a slot centred over the shoulder.
Rotate the dial indicator to get equal readings.

I recall a wiggler being put through a test on a neigbouring SIP No7
Hydroptic. It was very good - but they never caught on.
..