Posted to uk.d-i-y
michael adams[_6_] michael adams[_6_] is offline

Default Gas Safe Engineer

"John Rumm" wrote in message
On 04/11/2020 17:58, michael adams wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 04/11/2020 04:43, michael adams wrote:

snippage

You seem to be assuming that simply having access to the GS register in some way
devalues the business proposition, which is nonsense. Having a list of local gas
contractors is not the same as having a 24/7 facility get a problem fixed, and have
someone do else all the leg work for you.

"24/7 facility [to] get a problem fixed"

quote

JEREMY LOGUE
Almost every time I book a repair I am told "sorry, that's not covered'.

You seem to be confusing the performance of one company with a more general business
model.

You appear to be to suggest that for anyone aware of the GS register, there was no
added value to a maintenance business of this type.

Then you're totally misunderstood my point.

Which was that there are *far more* potential customers out there, who are
completely unaware of the fact that they can access the Gas Safe Register
themselves, than there are those who do.

Why would anyone want, or need to chase after people who already know
how to access the Gas Safe Register ? That knowledge is an asset
on which you can build the business..

Similarly a large number of the reviews complained about the high charges
being imposed by British Gas. That knowledge along with the charges being
imposed by other big players is a useful asset when bargaining as agent -
rather than as a customer - with an engineer - an agent who could
potentially bring them repeat business

I don't
buy that argument, since many businesses are profitable doing things that their
customers could do for themselves, in theory. The important question is does the
business add enough value or convenience for the customer to be prepared to pay for the
service.

So ? Of course there are plenty of businesses that are profitable
doing things people could do with themselves. People who are
time poor simply don't have the time to faff around making
sandwiches so they stop off at M$S or Subway instead.

Offering a service which uses a locally based Gas Safe registered engineer
to service their boiler, rather than their being ripped off by British Gas
at least in their estimation, certainly adds value and convenience for the
customer. Although no penguin obviously.

And so yes, were it not for the costs of attracting sufficient customers, in being
able to target the whole of the UK this would indeed be a "get rich quick"
business with very low overheads which could possibly be sold for a few
squillions within a year or two.

and again for the avoidance of doubt I am not passing comment on the quality of service
offered by this particular company. So all the cherry picked 1 star reviews are not
really contributing anything.

Except to confirm of course that the OP's totally unsatisfactory experience
with this firm. - the original point of this thread - was hardly untypical at
all as it turns out.

And they're not "cherry picked".

As I explained earlier Your Repair are already corrupting the review process
by soliciting reviews within 10 minutes of people signing up. Which are simply
reviews of their sales operation. And again as I pointed out, only a small
proportion of customers will ever experience a fault and require to make
full use of their services in the first place, And it will only be at that stage
after maybe paying for years that a proportion of them will then find out that
owing to small print clauses they never bothered to read, they'd never been
covered at all. So much for "service". But all perfectly legal, above board
and par for the course with many insurers, as it is.

Its not the picking that counts, but the rotten state of the cherries.

remainder mercy snipped

michael adams