Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Edward H. Edward H. is offline

Default 3D Printer

On Thursday, November 5, 2020 at 9:48:11 AM UTC-6, wrote:
On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 7:20:14 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I think you will find it hard to get a budget 3D scanner and 3D
printer to make acceptable knobs with any type of fine detail. Or fine
finishes for that matter. Some folks print stuff using ABS and then
polish the stuff in an acetone vapor chamber of some sort. That can
work pretty well. But still the best resolution of inexpensive
printers is ends up to be, in a practical sense, about .25mm, or .010"
at the finest. The cheapest 3D scanners that will scan stuff to a
resolution of .1mm, or .004" start at about 700 bucks.
Eric

I'm only familiar with the hot plastic style of 3D printer. They have them at the local library and before COVID I was able to watch them build some impressive sculptures (with kids working on them.)

I did not realize there was another kind with higher resolution available until I saw an ad for 3D printed trumpet mouthpieces, and the required finish and resolution is much higher, so they are using a cured resin approach..

I found this link:
https://all3dp.com/1/best-resin-dlp-...eolithography/

I built a resin printer using a projector and CD/DVD drive from an old PC. Resin is stinky and requires a space with vents and fans. It can get messy. Results or "ok". The price of these machines continues to drop and I'll probably end up grabbing a decent one soon.

https://www.instructables.com/Chimer...in-3d-printer/