Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave W[_2_] Dave W[_2_] is offline

Default replacement TV advice

On Wed, 04 Nov 2020 16:26:57 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Wed, 4 Nov 2020 13:14:44 +0000, Broadback
wrote:

I cannot receive a decent terrestrial signal so am connected to Freesat
via a dish. I also have a sound bar and a Humax. It is fine but overly
complicated to use. If I am not around my wife has problems. Is there
any where I can get unbiased advice on the way forward please? I would
like something, TV wise, like the the Samsung 52 inch we have.

I have a Samsung TV (UE42F5000AKXXU), a Humax HDR Fox T2 PVR and a
Pioneer X-CM56/X stereo system. All are linked. The Humax does the
tuning, its HDMI output goes into the HDMI 1 input socket on the TV.
The sound output from the TV goes from the headphone socket to the
audio input on the Pioneer. I don't receive satellite, nor do I use a
sound bar, but I imagine the set-up would be similar.

Provided the TV is set for HDMI-1 input via the 'SOURCE' button on the
TV handset, when it is switched on it automatically receives from the
Humax PVR.

Provided the Pioneer is set to 'Audio' input, when it is switched on
it automatically receives its sound from the TV output.

I use the Humax handset to switch on and off all three units - the
Panasonic TV, the Pioneer Hi-Fi and the Humax itself. The Humax manual
tells you how to input the codes into the Humax handset to get it to
control the TV and Hi-Fi. It only controls a limited number of
features on both TV and Hi-Fi, but On/Off and volume are all you
really need, which it does, although all I use is the On/Off.

Hence, the Humax handset controls everything: On/Off on all three
units, volume and channel via the Humax. No other controls are needed,
at least not by me.

You don't say what model of Humax you have. It's possible the handset
on yours it isn't as versatile as that for the HDR Fox T2. Similarly,
it may not be possible to control the sound bar from the Humax
controller, even if the Humax you have can control other devices. But
the simplicity of use, using the Humax controller for all three
devices and hardly ever needing to use the Panasonic or Pioneer
handsets, must surely make it worth investigating.

Here's an image of the HDR Fox T2 https://tinyurl.com/y3gbdhue The row
of four 'white' buttons across the top select which device the handset
is set to control. Pressing a button selects the device.

I have an older version of your Humax remote control, RM-F01 instead
of RM-F04. I have just been investigating remote control codes emitted
to find a reason why I often have to press the Power button twice to
make the Humax come on. Do you ever have that problem? The codes don't
vary between first and second press like some systems do.

Your control has 'TV Portal' in place of my 'List' button, and some
functions are repositioned to other buttons. You have no 'Schedule'
button. What does 'TV Portal' do?
--
Dave W
Dave W