Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default replacement TV advice

On 04/11/2020 13:41, Broadback wrote:
On 04/11/2020 13:37, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 04/11/2020 13:14, Broadback wrote:

I cannot receive a decent terrestrial signal so am connected to Freesat
via a dish. I also have a sound bar and a Humax. It is fine but overly
complicated to use. If I am not around my wife has problems. Is there
any where I can get unbiased advice on the way forward please? I would
like something, TV wise, like the the Samsung 52 inch we have.

Could you clarify if you currently have a Freesat TV or is your TV a
Freeview one connected to a Freesat Humax box?

I'm sure there are many who read both newsgroups, but just in case
there aren't, you might get more answers reposting in uk.tech.digital-tv

Sorry, it is a freeview connected to freesat via the Humax

If you want to simplify it so that Freesat behaves like TDTV then you
need to get a TV with an integral satellite tuner. Some Panasonic & LG
models have this but you do pay dearly for the convenience of having one
less box. The odd one has Apple TV or similar droid offerings as well.

I reckon Richer Sounds is one of the more helpful places to go looking
but think carefully about what you actually want. You have probably
missed the boat for remaindered classic HD sets with satellite now.
Almost everything is QD these days...

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-proj...55-59-tvs.html

Basically you set it up once and choose satellite and then the channels
at switch on are mapped accordingly. You can revert to TDTV if there is
a sufficiently big rainstorm to block the signal. Almost all big sets
are smart in some sense or other and can use an internet connection.

The other way you might be able to simplify it is to use one of the
smart peripheral controlling sockets that slaves everything off the TV
on off switch so that it all powers up when you switch the TV on.

That was what I did for my mum and she was able to get the hang of Sky
TV quite well (at least to find her favourite channels). It was better
than TDTV which in Manchester on that model of TV would sometimes retune
(and most importantly Channel 4 Countdown) into Welsh!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown