Posted to sci.electronics.repair
major major is offline

Default voltage of dimmer output not reading same on two different DVM's

On 11/5/20 1:10 AM, Phil Allison wrote:
major wrote:

================
I am using a 12 V 20 amp lamp dimmer to control some LED lighting.
While my two DVM's show nearly equal input voltage to the dimmer, they
both read separate voltages on the output side. One is reading 9 V and
the other 4 V. I am trying to determine wattage output at various
dimmer settings. Why the different in voltage readings on two different
DVM's and how to remedy?

** Both are correct, but only one of them is "true RMS " ?

OR the controller use high frequency PWM and one meter cannot read it.

Next time, leave out all the facts just to make it harder.

.... Phil

Sorry, the meters are a GE2524 Digital Multimeter that reads the 9V and
the other meter is a Etek 10709 that reads 4 V. The dimmer is one from
Amazon (sorry, 30 amps not 20 as I said originally):

https://www.amazon.com/Lighting-Cont.../dp/B076MVT1CR

Not sure about dimmer frequency, but I can hear a faint whine as it runs.