Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Gas Safe Engineer

On 04/11/2020 17:58, michael adams wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 04/11/2020 04:43, michael adams wrote:

snippage

You seem to be assuming that simply having access to the GS register in some way
devalues the business proposition, which is nonsense. Having a list of local gas
contractors is not the same as having a 24/7 facility get a problem fixed, and have
someone do else all the leg work for you.

"24/7 facility [to] get a problem fixed"

quote

JEREMY LOGUE
Almost every time I book a repair I am told "sorry, that's not covered'.

You seem to be confusing the performance of one company with a more
general business model.

You appear to be to suggest that for anyone aware of the GS register,
there was no added value to a maintenance business of this type. I don't
buy that argument, since many businesses are profitable doing things
that their customers could do for themselves, in theory. The important
question is does the business add enough value or convenience for the
customer to be prepared to pay for the service.

and again for the avoidance of doubt I am not passing comment on the
quality of service offered by this particular company. So all the cherry
picked 1 star reviews are not really contributing anything.

What could be simpler ?

If you think a business opportunity is an easy road to riches,

When did I say that ?

Your phrases "get rich quick scheme" and "money for old rope" spring to
mind.

then go and actually
build it first, then come back and tell us how simple it was.

You're totally failing to address my point.

Which is that there are potentially thousands of such business opportunities
out there, none of which need to be "scams" if only it were possible to attract
sufficient customers without spending shedloads on advertising

"Why the need to advertise ? ". "Customers will be beating a path to my door !"
"Once we get started all we will need from that point on, is word of mouth" etc.
are common misconceptions which sink many such business.

Not disagreeing with you there. Many fledgling businesses vastly
underestimate the cost of acquiring customers and brand recognition.

Now what *would* be interesting would be
knowing how they attracted those initial customers. Paying to have their Google
ranking tweaked in some way perhaps ?

Quite possibly - its called search engine optimisation and advertising. Something
many businesses need to spend significant amounts of time and money on.

The one point you *didn't* pick up I notice was my reference to their possibly
using "fake reviews" initially.

I agree that in general there are tones of fake and "paid for" reviews out
there, but do you have specific reason to believe that is the case here?

No. Why should I ? I'm simply suggesting it as a possibility, which
as I go on to explain below, wouldn't necessarily reflect on the integrity
of anyone who *initially* employed such fake reviews.

However fake reviews would be of little use to
scammers. As the first thing you'd imagine anyone attracted by those reviews
would do when scammed would be to themselves post a damning review.
And presumably there's always CC chargebacks sufficient of which would soon
lose them their CC merchant accreditation

So since they are still here 5 years later, and growing, does that reassure
you they are not scammers then?

I don't need any reassurance; as I never implied they were scammers
in the first place. The fact that you have again wrongly inferred that
I did imply that they were, despite having been assured to the contrary
is quite frankly a problem you might be in need of reassurance about
yourself. Although obviously I'm not qualified to judge on such matters.

Indeed.

Talking of reviews. All of *your" research comprised of finding out information
which YouRepair provided about themselves. Which is fair enough.

I looking at the audited accounts on the companies house web site and checked the
nominet records for the domain name. I would not really class those as things "they"
provided as such.

So who exactly provided the name of the registrant of the domain name to
nominet,

Judging by the name of the owner, one of the founding directors of the
business. The fact that the domain name was registered a couple of years
before formation of the company also suggests some forward planning.

and the audited accounts to Companies House if not YourRepair
or their appointed agents ?

In the case of audited accounts, their accountants. Who would be
personally liable if found to be supplying incorrect information.

None of this guarantees that everything is legit and above board, but it
does give increased confidence.

Remember I am not passing comment on their quality of service or customer satisfaction
or even their basic competency, since I had never heard of the firm, used them, or for
that matter have any reason to need the services of such a firm anyway.

I was not even singling out your post in particular either, it was just one of many
that appeared to be inventing a whole narrative based on conjecture.

Whereas all
of *my* research comprised of finding out what *other people* said about
them.

Research, that is addressing question of "is the quality of the service they provide
any good", and not the point I was addressing about whether they were a fly by night
operation running a scam.

Again the "scam" word. When nobody but yourself has ever suggested that
this business is a scam.

Perhaps you should check:

alan_m: "You then let someone into your home and later find out that the
service organisation have no record of service being performed. You
cannot even guess what the scam is?"

Dave P : "Given your boiler has now broken, that could be the scam."

Lastly, you used the phrase "get rich quick scheme" which I would
normally take as another way of calling something a scam of some form.

Seemingly coupled with the further implication
that any business being run from a spare bedroom, as I would imagine are
many perfectly honest eBay businesses, is necessarily dodgy in any way.

I did not suggest that there was anything wrong with running a business
from a spare bedroom. However others seemed to be inferring that such a
business was in some respect insubstantial, or fly by night etc. I just
highlighted that the published accounts for this particular example
don't support that view, and that it seems implausible that its being
run from a back bedroom (or at least one anyway - several perhaps, as
are many companies at the moment!)

With the further implication that any business regularly submitting
audited accounts and on time, to Companies House, can't possibly
be guilty of underhand practices amounting to "scams", themselves.

You must have good glasses to read all that between the lines.

So that page 1 of this review site, which is unfiltered and thus sorted by date

https://www.reviews.co.uk/company-re...ilters%5B0%5D=

Suggests Your Repair gets glowing reviews. However reading further down the
page brings up the second 1 star review from Monica Waldok

Find me a review site for *any* business with with 1000s of reviews that does not have
a proportion of 1 star reviews...

But we're not talking about *any* business here, are we ? We're talking about
specific complaints about exclusion clauses in contracts of which customers

yada yada...

na, can't be bothered... g'night

--
Cheers,