Posted to uk.d-i-y
michael adams[_6_] michael adams[_6_] is offline

Default Gas Safe Engineer

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 04/11/2020 04:43, michael adams wrote:

snippage

You seem to be assuming that simply having access to the GS register in some way
devalues the business proposition, which is nonsense. Having a list of local gas
contractors is not the same as having a 24/7 facility get a problem fixed, and have
someone do else all the leg work for you.

"24/7 facility [to] get a problem fixed"

quote

JEREMY LOGUE
Almost every time I book a repair I am told "sorry, that's not covered'.
My water cylinder sprang a leak *yesterday*, so I called Your Repair &
they arranged for a plumber to visit *today*, they then called me back to
say the repair wasn't covered because the leak had been caused by hardwater scale
.... even though we have a softener!

Stephen Travis "
2 days been waiting for a repair, waiting for a call back.........still waiting
1 hour plus. Do yourself a favour pay a bit extra and get decent cover.....
I will be

Anonymous

“My advice would be NEVER to take a policy out with Your Repair. Those people
who have already taken a policy out, beware to read the small print very carefully
as they will find any excuse to reject your claim. You would be better to
have no insurance at all and pay reputable tradespeople as situations arise.

https://www.reviews.co.uk/company-re...ng%5D%5B0%5D=1

/quote

What could be simpler ?

If you think a business opportunity is an easy road to riches,

When did I say that ?

then go and actually
build it first, then come back and tell us how simple it was.

You're totally failing to address my point.

Which is that there are potentially thousands of such business opportunities
out there, none of which need to be "scams" if only it were possible to attract
sufficient customers without spending shedloads on advertising

"Why the need to advertise ? ". "Customers will be beating a path to my door !"
"Once we get started all we will need from that point on, is word of mouth" etc.
are common misconceptions which sink many such business.

Now what *would* be interesting would be
knowing how they attracted those initial customers. Paying to have their Google
ranking tweaked in some way perhaps ?

Quite possibly - its called search engine optimisation and advertising. Something
many businesses need to spend significant amounts of time and money on.

The one point you *didn't* pick up I notice was my reference to their possibly
using "fake reviews" initially.

I agree that in general there are tones of fake and "paid for" reviews out
there, but do you have specific reason to believe that is the case here?

No. Why should I ? I'm simply suggesting it as a possibility, which
as I go on to explain below, wouldn't necessarily reflect on the integrity
of anyone who *initially* employed such fake reviews.

However fake reviews would be of little use to
scammers. As the first thing you'd imagine anyone attracted by those reviews
would do when scammed would be to themselves post a damning review.
And presumably there's always CC chargebacks sufficient of which would soon
lose them their CC merchant accreditation

So since they are still here 5 years later, and growing, does that reassure
you they are not scammers then?

I don't need any reassurance; as I never implied they were scammers
in the first place. The fact that you have again wrongly inferred that
I did imply that they were, despite having been assured to the contrary
is quite frankly a problem you might be in need of reassurance about
yourself. Although obviously I'm not qualified to judge on such matters.

Talking of reviews. All of *your" research comprised of finding out information
which YouRepair provided about themselves. Which is fair enough.

I looking at the audited accounts on the companies house web site and checked the
nominet records for the domain name. I would not really class those as things "they"
provided as such.

So who exactly provided the name of the registrant of the domain name to
nominet, and the audited accounts to Companies House if not YourRepair
or their appointed agents ?

Remember I am not passing comment on their quality of service or customer satisfaction
or even their basic competency, since I had never heard of the firm, used them, or for
that matter have any reason to need the services of such a firm anyway.

I was not even singling out your post in particular either, it was just one of many
that appeared to be inventing a whole narrative based on conjecture.

Whereas all
of *my* research comprised of finding out what *other people* said about
them.

Research, that is addressing question of "is the quality of the service they provide
any good", and not the point I was addressing about whether they were a fly by night
operation running a scam.

Again the "scam" word. When nobody but yourself has ever suggested that
this business is a scam. Seemingly coupled with the further implication
that any business being run from a spare bedroom, as I would imagine are
many perfectly honest eBay businesses, is necessarily dodgy in any way.

With the further implication that any business regularly submitting
audited accounts and on time, to Companies House, can't possibly
be guilty of underhand practices amounting to "scams", themselves.

And as it didn't make every good reading I declined to post it. On the grounds
of not wanting to cause anyone unnecessary embarrassment. Nothing suggests
dishonesty as such at all. Just people exploiting a business opportunity
to the full, attracting customers unaccustomed to reading the small print
The perfectly legal, "Virgin" model, in other words. And they're, YouRepair.
maybe getting in over their heads.

So that page 1 of this review site, which is unfiltered and thus sorted by date

https://www.reviews.co.uk/company-re...ilters%5B0%5D=

Suggests Your Repair gets glowing reviews. However reading further down the
page brings up the second 1 star review from Monica Waldok

Find me a review site for *any* business with with 1000s of reviews that does not have
a proportion of 1 star reviews...

But we're not talking about *any* business here, are we ? We're talking about
specific complaints about exclusion clauses in contracts of which customers
were seemingly unaware, until it was too late. What also needs to be born in
mind here, is the percentage of customers who will ever require a repair in the
first place. Whereas most people who buy a TV are going to switch it on,
possibly on the same day. And then send in a bad review as soon as it
doesn't meet their, quite possibly unreasonable expectations. Either that
or the van was late in delivering the thing.

Not never switch it on at all

(and how do you know how many of are fake or malicious?)

So you're suggesting that reviews similar to Monica Waldock's
but not hers review specifically, which you snipped I notice,
which claimed that Your Repair solicit reviews 10 minutes after
customers sign up

quote

For asking for a review on a 12 month support contract that is literally
10 minutes old ?? Doesn't bode well if this company is misleadingly racking
up reviews based on customers' experience of merely spending their
money and setting up an account?

/quote

are quite possibly fake or malicious are you ? As its noticeable that Your
Repair take care to answer all/most of the negative reviews, but not that
particular one.

Basically it's a very smart move when you think about it. To get the business
in the first place, you need to operate a smooth-running user-friendly sales
operation* both in terms of the website and the telephone sales operators.
Given which, once you've signed up a customer why not get them to write a
glowing review of how pleasant they found the whole experience within say
the next ten minutes ? This capitalising twice on that asset.

* Although what happens afterwards is quite possibly a different kettle
of fish entirely.

Filtering to display only 1 or 2 star reviews paints a pretty dismal picture
I'm afraid.

https://www.reviews.co.uk/company-re...ng%5D%5B0%5D=1

Again all totally above board, and maybe par for the course. So its basically
money for old rope, gone bad.

Having operated service and consulting businesses for most of my working life I would
argue that its very unlikely to be "money for old rope".

As to whether it has "gone bad" or not, I have no opinion, and don't care enough to
spend the time forming one.

With a lot of staff time apparently being devoted
to responding to negative reviews in a hopefully convoking way. That dept being
located in the front room, maybe.

Perhaps.

I forgot to add it was also of course downstairs. Possibly you can have
spare bedrooms in flats but I always place them upstairs at the far end;
past the bathroom.

michael adams