Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Cable Wiring

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 04 Nov 2020 17:47:17 -0500, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 4 Nov 2020 13:31:54 -0800 (PST), TimR
wrote:

On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 4:20:21 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On 11/4/20 3:10 PM, TimR wrote:

The local stores have half inch masonry bits - can I get the connector through a half inch hole?

A standard 8 pin "RJ-45" Ethernet connector is slightly smaller than
1/2" wide.

Technically 11.68 mm which = 0.459 inch

Yeah, I measured one of my own at that, but the one in the patch cable at Home Depot looks bigger.

I actually bought a 100' patch cable from Hdepot about 2 months ago. If
you give me a bit of time, I'll go measure it.

Yes, from flat side to flat side it's about 7/16" and from corner to
corner it's a little more** but it's still under 1/2".

I think it will fit to begin with but can't one general run a masonry
drill in and out and get the hole a little bigger?

I think this is what I got:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwir...8443/202316436
I paid cash so I'm not positive, but I think that's the only one they
keep in stock in each store.

I think it looks bigger because the hex nut is longer than they used to
be. I think the hex nut is the same size for just about all cables.

**How much more should be the same for every hexagon.