Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cable Wiring

On 11/4/2020 4:29 PM, TimR wrote:
On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 3:26:37 PM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 3:10:36 PM UTC-5, TimR wrote:
I need better internet in my basement because work forces me to work from home half time. I have spotty wifi at one end but really need to work at the other.

So, the quick and dirty way is to buy a premade "patch cord" from the big box, go out a window on the ground floor where my cable router is, and drill a hole in the concrete block wall to get it in the basement. The local stores have half inch masonry bits - can I get the connector through a half inch hole? And why does a premade CAT 6 patch cable cost less than bulk cable in 5e or 6, even without connectors? I'll do that if I have to.

But I'd rather do it right, which is to go up into the attic and back down in the basement. How in the heck do I fish a wire into the basement? This is not obvious. But I know some of you do it routinely.

Before all that, how about one of the wifi range extender/repeater widgets that
you might be able to put somewhere in between? Could save a lot of work.

Yup, first thing I tried. It seems to work, it increased signal strength from none to a little bit, but not enough to connect. And work is on a VPN, unless the signal is strong it keeps dropping me.

Try a different location to be sure it is receiving a good signal. It
should probably be halfway or so.