Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Gas Safe Engineer

On 04/11/2020 04:43, michael adams wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 04/11/2020 00:45, michael adams wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 03/11/2020 12:42, rick wrote:
On 03/11/2020 10:49, John Rumm wrote:

If you look at the bottom of their web page you will find the registered company
details, so can then go look them up on the companies house web site. At which
point
you will find they have made up accounts and a 5 year trading history, with a move
profit in about 2017, and consistent growth over the last couple of trading years.
The average number of employees for the 2017-18 year was 9, and last year that had
risen to 16. So it seems like its going to be getting rather cosy in that back
bedroom.

I did look at comparison sites and review sites before going to them, it was an
informed decision (on my part anyway)

I was not questioning the choice of company (they may or may not be good - I have no
experience with them). I just found all the prattle suggesting the organisation was a
scam or a "bedroom operation" was a bit tiresome since it was pretty evident that no
one had actually bothered doing any research!

In my original post I stated the following

" She doesn't work for Your Repair don't forget,.She's presumably self employed
She'd "been requested" by them to do the service. Maybe she mostly works
for other contractors and this was her first job for Your Repair. And she didn't
follow the correct procedure which differs from the others after completeing
the job."

Nothing I've read in this thread - the OP's experience in particular leads
me to believe it couldn't still be being run from a bedroom. !6 employees or
not. And neither do I automatically associate bedroom operations with
scams, and nowhere in this thread have I suggested that it was. Which would,
as you are doubtless aware, be defamatory were it shown to be false,
and lay myself or anyone else making such claims, open to legal recourse.

IANAL, but I believe you are free to state an opinion that you hold and be free of risk
of litigation. Its a different matter if you state something that proves to be
defamatory as a "fact".

I note however that you did state "the big problem with *this as with almost all such
surefire get rich quick schemes* is actually attracting customers." [my emphasis]. That
seemed to strongly imply that you were claiming the company is a "get rich quick
scheme" - a phrase not usually interpreted with a positive connotations, but perhaps I
misread it.

The business plan as I outlined it should they succeed in getting sufficient
customers would indeed be a *get-rich-quick scheme".

We obviously have a very different understandings of the phrase then,
which I would take as being a scheme that promises a substantial income
with little or no effort and risk.

Any enterprise that requires years to build, needs substatial capital
investment, and requires the employment of many staff does not seem to
fit that profile on either the effort or risk criteria.

They don't need to cheat
anyone. They're simply agents taking a percentage in linking prospective
customers who are unaware of the Gas Safe Register, with Gas Safe Registerd
engineers.

You seem to be assuming that simply having access to the GS register in
some way devalues the business proposition, which is nonsense. Having a
list of local gas contractors is not the same as having a 24/7 facility
get a problem fixed, and have someone do else all the leg work for you.

What could be simpler ?

If you think a business opportunity is an easy road to riches, then go
and actually build it first, then come back and tell us how simple it was.

Now what *would* be interesting would be
knowing how they attracted those initial customers. Paying to have their Google
ranking tweaked in some way perhaps ?

Quite possibly - its called search engine optimisation and advertising.
Something many businesses need to spend significant amounts of time and
money on.

The one point you *didn't* pick up I notice was my reference to their possibly
using "fake reviews" initially.

I agree that in general there are tones of fake and "paid for" reviews
out there, but do you have specific reason to believe that is the case
here?

However fake reviews would be of little use to
scammers. As the first thing you'd imagine anyone attracted by those reviews
would do when scammed would be to themselves post a damning review.
And presumably there's always CC chargebacks sufficient of which would soon
lose them their CC merchant accreditation

So since they are still here 5 years later, and growing, does that
reassure you they are not scammers then?

Talking of reviews. All of *your" research comprised of finding out information
which YouRepair provided about themselves. Which is fair enough.

I looking at the audited accounts on the companies house web site and
checked the nominet records for the domain name. I would not really
class those as things "they" provided as such.

Remember I am not passing comment on their quality of service or
customer satisfaction or even their basic competency, since I had never
heard of the firm, used them, or for that matter have any reason to
need the services of such a firm anyway.

I was not even singling out your post in particular either, it was just
one of many that appeared to be inventing a whole narrative based on
conjecture.

Whereas all
of *my* research comprised of finding out what *other people* said about
them.

Research, that is addressing question of "is the quality of the service
they provide any good", and not the point I was addressing about whether
they were a fly by night operation running a scam.

And as it didn't make every good reading I declined to post it. On the grounds
of not wanting to cause anyone unnecessary embarrassment. Nothing suggests
dishonesty as such at all. Just people exploiting a business opportunity
to the full, attracting customers unaccustomed to reading the small print
The perfectly legal, "Virgin" model, in other words. And they're, YouRepair.
maybe getting in over their heads.

So that page 1 of this review site, which is unfiltered and thus sorted by date

https://www.reviews.co.uk/company-re...ilters%5B0%5D=

Suggests Your Repair gets glowing reviews. However reading further down the
page brings up the second 1 star review from Monica Waldok

Find me a review site for *any* business with with 1000s of reviews that
does not have a proportion of 1 star reviews...

(and how do you know how many of are fake or malicious?)

Filtering to display only 1 or 2 star reviews paints a pretty dismal picture
I'm afraid.

https://www.reviews.co.uk/company-re...ng%5D%5B0%5D=1

Again all totally above board, and maybe par for the course. So its basically
money for old rope, gone bad.

Having operated service and consulting businesses for most of my working
life I would argue that its very unlikely to be "money for old rope".

As to whether it has "gone bad" or not, I have no opinion, and don't
care enough to spend the time forming one.

With a lot of staff time apparently being devoted
to responding to negative reviews in a hopefully convoking way. That dept being
located in the front room, maybe.

Perhaps.

--
Cheers,