Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default New bathroom sink tap in old bathroom

On 02/11/2020 10:41, Jedzi wrote:

Thanks for the responses. Thinking about it, I'm probably being
optimistic in saying it's only 30 years - I'd say it's more like 50+,
from the hideous bright pink bath & sink.

I've measured the pipe, it's roughly 15mm externally, which doesn't
tell me whether it's imperial or metric, but does tell me it's not
3/4".

Based on the responses so far:

1. It's probably not safe to assume that 15mm & 1/2" are
interchangeable.

A 15mm compression fitting will usually fit both... however

2. Given the small difference in the size though, a new 15mm tap will
fit in the hole in the sink for the existing tap, even if it is
1/2".

Probably no such thing as a 15mm tap. Even a new basin tap will have a
1/2" BSP thread.

3. Given the age, my best bet for the flexible hose is probably 1/2"
pipe to 15mm tap. If I'm wrong on that, it's not a large loss (about
£3 from a quick look online).

Your best bet is swap the tap and reuse the existing tap connector
without any pipework changes at all.

Pls shout if this doesn't make sense.

SEE ABOVE ;-)

--