Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default New bathroom sink tap in old bathroom

On 2 Nov 2020 at 23:07:10 GMT, "Jedzi" wrote:

Thanks for all of the responses - much appreciated and gives me a lot more
confidence to tackle the job. I hadn't appreciate that new taps are still
sold in imperial.

In terms of getting the old tap off, I can see that is very likely to be a
problem. Tricks I'm aware of: penetrating oil, light tap with a hammer,
heat, Please let me know if there's anything else.

One quick question on that: am I likely to be better off with a fixed or
adjustable basin wrench?

I think this kind is more likely to enable access:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/basin-wrench-1-/14631

But it is well worth getting one of this kind:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/basin-wrench/13294

if you don't have one. Partly because it may work better with your particular
tap and partly because it can be quite good for stopping things turning such
as taps or the fixed part of fittings you are trying to undo.

--
Roger Hayter