Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Bryan[_2_] John Bryan[_2_] is offline

Default New bathroom sink tap in old bathroom

In message
Jedzi wrote:

I need to replace*the hot tap in my bathroom sink.* The bathroom is
ancient, 30+ years old, and will be replaced in the next year, so I just
need something simple to keep it working until then.* I've not fitted a
new tap before, but I've done some research and have a couple of
questions:

1. Assuming that the old tap is a 1/2 inch tap, do I need to buy a 1/2
inch tap, or will a modern 15m tap be OK?**
2. From looking round on the net, a sensible option seems to be to use a
flexible hose.* Am I right to think I should buy a 1/2 fitting for the
pipe end and, depending on the answer to Q1, a half inch or 15mm fitting
for the other end?3. 3. Should I use a push or compression fitting
(bearing in mind I haven't done this before)?

Thanks

Connecting your new tap into the existing plumbing may be the least of
your worries....
Removing the old tap after such a long time may well be problematical as
the lock nut will be not only difficult to access but may be seized on.
Think about how you might cut the locknut off or the tap top itself.

I am speaking from experience as I wanted to change the cold tap washer
but broke the sink and ended up changing the sink, taps and drain for my
trouble.

Good luck

John

--