Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default traditional ropes

Hemp, but not tarred rope if you want it to rot. Some ropes also stretch or
shrink as well so its worth bearing that in mind. I'll bow to others, but
I'd just say, beware of some natural ropes as they are made of all sorts of
crap.

As a matter of interest, why does it all need to be bio degradable? I would
it not be better to simply take them down clean them up and remove your non
bio degradable stuff at that time?
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"TimW" wrote in message
I am involved in a project to put some small wooden structures like nesting
boxes out in some woodland. The Desire is that they should be 100% (or at
least 99%) biodegradable, so they last as long as poss but ultimately rot
away to nothing. Fixing them in trees with synthetic ropes or straps is
therefore obviously a complete no-no. So traditional rope is required.

There's a bewildering array of different materials - coir, hemp, flax etc
and some treatments as well like tarred rope. Does anyone know what is a
good choice here for just lasting a few years out in the weather? Is it
better to have thicker rope for lasting, or just strong enough to do the
job?

TW