Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default traditional ropes

"michael adams" wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"michael adams" wrote in message

"TimW" wrote in message
I am involved in a project to put some small wooden structures like
nesting boxes out in some woodland. The Desire is that they should be
100% (or at least 99%) biodegradable, so they last as long as poss but
ultimately rot away to nothing. Fixing them in trees with synthetic
ropes or straps is therefore obviously a complete no-no. So traditional
rope is required.

Isn't this risking unwarrented distress, never mind cruellty to any
adult birds and
nestlings who may find tjhemselves trapped in a nestbox which has
plummeted
to ground as a result of a rope failing "prematurely"

Just as true of your wooden peg in the tree. That will likely fail before
the box does.

Indeed. It's true of all wholly biodegradable solutions, potentially.

Nope. Trivial to use a biodegradable attachment
that will last longer than the box,

Which was rather my point.

Like hell it was.

It's just thst it took me three posts to finally arrive at that concluion,

And still ****ed up completely.