Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Combo microwave and convection oven sharing the same heat source?

On Sunday, 1 November 2020 12:11:55 UTC, Mike Halmarack wrote:
On Sat, 31 Oct 2020 15:56:39 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:
On Friday, 30 October 2020 08:52:10 UTC, Mike Halmarack wrote:

A very old friend, my Sharp combination microwave, convection oven and
grill lost functionality last night. Currently the grill heats as
usual, the fan blows and the turntable rotates but neither the
convection oven nor the microwave produce any heat.

When working do they share the same heat source?

I looked at some YouTube videos showing an "easily fixable" fuse
problem but these videos are about simpler machines.

I changed the turntable drive motor a couple of months ago with quite
pricey spares, so I feel quite committed to keeping this model going.
If they do share the same heat source I'd be more encouraged to delve.

Microwaves don't run on a heat source.
There isn't normally a fuse that runs 2 out of 3 of the heating modes.

The caution about lethal voltage is true, but it's not hard to de-lethal it. However you still need to understand about microwaves and safety to do the job.

You've now got a spare tt motor, spare fan, MOT which has many uses, some quite interesting, and a magnetron that's seldom useful and likely quite toxic. And often a VFD that you can turn into an exotic radio. And a spare bit of mica.

NT

Sounds fascinating. I did pull it to bits to make carrying it
downstairs less troublesome. The magnetron was the heaviest part and
by it's name and nature most interesting. Toxicity seems to be the
most discussed aspect on YouTube.
Is there a special dumping method for one of these?

Take it to the dump. Or a scrap place.
The heaviest bit is usually the transformer, but not with invertor ovens, which are a small minority.

Paul is right about the use of beryllium being debatable. I'd rather not find out the hard way, it's not pleasant stuff.

NT