Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Removing smoker smells from hardware?

On Sun, 01 Nov 2020 13:51:37 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
So, last night I stripped the unit down and washed the case and all
the cables / probes in hot soapy water, dried it all with some paper
towel and left it on an electric radiator on low overnight (to ensure
it's all dried), but *I* can still smell the 'the smell' on the cables
(especially) and things like the rubber front and back moldings.

Bit odd, in that washing clothes gets rid of any tobacco smells.

Agreed. When I was running my mobile disco, the clothes would go
straight in the clothes bin when I got in, and would smell Chan after
being washed but 'kit', always seemed to carry the smell, even after
being wiped down with a soapy cloth.

Of course
since it's likely got ventilation slots, the inside bits could be coated
too.

True, other than I took the insides out and wiped that down with a
damp soapy cloth ... and the ally case actually never smelled as bad
as say the PVC covered cables or the rubberised front and rear ends.

Lots of the Googled solutions to this seem to cover the absorption of
the smell once it's left the device but my question was how can it
continue to emit such, even after it's been thoroughly washed in hot
soapy water?

I mean, if you could imprint wire with some other fragrance you could
be onto some big money in the air freshener game!

Cheers, T i m