Posted to sci.electronics.repair
T i m T i m is offline

Default Technics SU-610, one channel down?

On Sat, 31 Oct 2020 10:44:05 -0700 (PDT), John-Del
wrote:

snip

I can't tell you how many of those came in over the years with cranky switches, either the rotating or sliding kind. Yes, by all means have him manipulate them or test those first if it shows up.

He was away till just earlier and said he tried using a different
input and it worked, but didn't mention if he'd tried going back to
the original ... (like I would have done).

For some people, as long as it's working they don't care about
anything else. ;-(

If it responds, clean them accordingly.

Yeah, that would have been my next step, get some switch cleaner /
Elecrolube in them. ;-)

The good news is that a stereo amp with one weird channel out of two identical channels is one of the easier things to troubleshoot in the consumer electronics world.

Yeah, and this one looked pretty simple. ;-(

At least I've now got myself a simple PC scope:

https://www.hantek.eu/dso-6022be.html

.... and have found it's also supported under Linux:

https://github.com/OpenHantek/openhantek

.... and found a mod that upgrades it to be AC coupling:

https://github.com/OpenHantek/OpenHa...dification.pdf

The only thing I haven't worked out is if the default is DC after the
mod is applied as I don't think the factory software had the soft
switch and the Windows version of OpenHantek doesn't work on W10 on
the same PC when running Linux Mint (video errors, can't form the
actual scope screen display).

Cheers, T i m