Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Removing smoker smells from hardware?

On Sun, 01 Nov 2020 11:09:14 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Sun, 01 Nov 2020 10:42:00 +0000, T i m wrote:

Whilst this scope and cables is 'better' after the washing, because
it's something you typically use close up, especially the probes, I
really don't want that smell under my nose every time I use it). ;-(

Well probes are not exactly expensive...

No, sure, but I'd rather not replace them if I don't have to, given
they are nearly new (as in usage). I think they are quite good, X1/X10
switch and with a matching capacitor thing in the plug.

As for the USB Scope, perhaps give it a gentle spray or wipe over
with a fabric refresher?

As mentioned, the (ally) sleeve case has been washed in hot water and
I think that be is pretty good now (I'm guessing it's down to the
permeability of the smell molecules that impact how persistent /
resistant to cleaning it stuff is).

It's one of these OOI:
https://www.hantek.eu/dso-6022be.html

SWMBO'd

(Did you know that slavery is banned these days Dave? g)

uses Febreze fabric refresher with
reasonable success but on fabrics not hard surfaces.

Yeah, I've used that on fabrics (and the room air fresheners) in the
past ...

She's not a
great fan of artifical scents

Nor am I, even requesting the Mrs put on any perfume as she goes out
the front door, not in the bedroom etc. ;-)

so I suspect you can get these
refreshers "sans parfum" or at least with something overpowering.

Pre lockdown we visited daughter and she had a couple of those oil
stick things in the lounge. I had to put a bag and electric band over
them as they were making me cough and my eyes sting. Same with a
particular brand of hand cream the Mrs would sometimes apply and I
could tell she had done it as soon as I walked in the room. ;-(

I smelled 'burning' in the house the other day and even went outside
and sensed it a bit stronger. 10 mins later I saw a fire engine go
past.

I should have some white vinegar and baking soda on the way as they do
seem to be regularly used (in various ways) so they may have some
special properties.

Cheers, T i m