Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Runner Runner is offline

Default can't figure correct resistance for teflon coated copper wire

On 10/30/20 4:05 PM, Tim R wrote:
On Friday, October 30, 2020 at 1:30:43 PM UTC-4, Runner wrote:
That was too much power, at least IMO, for the electric blanket I was
making, so I kept checking current and voltage until a more reasonable
55 W was reached. This meant using 20 feet of the wire and powering at
5 V (11 A).

I'm under the blanket now and it's toasty. Not hot, but warm. I will

The Teflon wire is hot glued to the old blanket. I wasn't sure if this
would work as I feared glue melting, but so far so good after some

Dude! I just..........I mean it boggles the mind. You made your own electric blanket with hot glue and duct tape, and you're trusting your life to it?

Not duck tape, hot glue only. Well, if you can demonstrate to me a name
brand that lasts more than part of one season, I would buy it. I've
bought several Sunbeams and all were returned/ exchanged because they
don't last. I also went with Biddleford and same thing. Bought
blankets today are junk and I am on limited income to keep shelling out
for them.

I hope you live alone. I'm pretty sure you made your own smoke alarms but still.

I didn't mention the power supply, but it has overload protection along
with current sense, which is adjustable. If the blanket suddenly starts
drawing more than it should, the power goes off. There are also fast
blow fuses on both lines.

#darwinawards