Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Pat[_25_] Pat[_25_] is offline

Default Sony STR-KS360 Display Dim

Hello,
I am have a Sony STR-KS360 5.1 AV receiver I purchased 10 or 11 years
ago. It still works well except the display is very dim. It can only
be seen if the room is completely dark. The left 10% of the display
is a little brighter than the right 90%, but even the brighter part is
very dim. A few years back, I did some Google'ing and found I wasn't
the only one having this issue. If I recall correctly, someone
suggested a bad electrolytic as being the likely cause, but I was busy
at the time and dropped it. Now, I'm retired and have some time to
investigate.
Anyone know which cap is the likely culprit? I can't find the old
post I had read a few years ago. (My only available test equipment is
a Fluke 87, but I can solder small components). The receiver has a
"dim display" function, but it is set to off. The display gets even
dimmer when I turn it on.

Thanks,
Pat