Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Updating an elderly heating system

On 28/10/2020 10:49, wrote:
On Wednesday, 28 October 2020 10:08:51 UTC, pinnerite wrote:
I have been looking to downsize and have seen a sixty or so year old
bungalow.
The radiatprs are c 1968-70.

Such installations were often wired as a single pipe system, which is incompatible with almost all modern boilers, so you would need to run a new return pipe, and move one connection of each radiator from the single pipe to the new return pipe.

Or put a new system in, either plastic below the floor or microbore to each room in the loft below the loft insulation and drop down behind the curtains.

Owain

Just a warning on microbore, especially in a very old house with
difficult accesses. I had this done on mine (four kids including a baby,
tight finances and heavy work pressure). It was mostly OK but the main
living room never got enough heat. Too much hassle to get the plumber
back in the end, eventually I traced it to poor flow in very
inaccessible microbore (either kinked or almost filled with solder from
end-feeds). I would not have it again (except maybe in a bungalow with a
concrete floor, and simple drops from the roof space).