Posted to uk.d-i-y
pinnerite pinnerite is offline

Default Updating an elderly heating system

On Wed, 28 Oct 2020 13:21:04 +0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Young, softy, namby pambies might. Depends what you are used to. We
didn't have central heating until I was about 10. Generally the only
heat in the house was an open coal fire in the back living room. The gas
fire in the Front Room was only lit on special occasions, like present
opening at Christmas. HW was from a gravity back boiler from the coal
fire. Hot water bottles, blankets, eiderdowns and supply of pennies to
suck and melt the frost on the inside of the windows was order of the
day in bedrooms.

Identical description of my home, with an Anderson shelter in the front
room. My dad lined it with asbestos. We were lucky to survive.

--
Mint 20.0, kernel 5.4.0-45-generic, Cinnamon 4.6.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 8GB of DRAM.