Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default There's a rat my loft (what am I gonna do?)

On 29 Oct 2020 00:46:01 GMT, Roger Hayter wrote:

snip

This is a bit like whack-a-mole, but different!
https://tinyurl.com/nraj2cv

While I am all for killing rats, the apparent excitement and pleasure the
humans got from it is very distasteful.

Agreed, I could watch it whilst the dogs were doing their ting (till a
couple were playing tug-o-war with a rat) but it was when the 'humans'
got involved it was a bit sick.

The giveaway is that it is from a
field sports organisation. Pleasure in killing is never pretty.

I think it comes from a general disconnection, often as a function of
your circumstance / background, as typically with farmers and
certainly those who can use the word 'sport' in the death of any
animal (even those described / categorised as vermin).

Like, I wonder if someone who has, had or dealt with fancy rats could
kill 'wild' rats in that way, like it really was a live
'Whack-a-mole', and if they couldn't, suggesting that it's not the
species that's the issue but just your situation with it.

Mum noticed some rats in her back garden and it turned out they had
found the spare rabbit food in the shed. Put that in a rat proof
container and the rats went away.

Cheers, T i m